-->
SPOTLIGHT WRITER: ALIA

Characters: Jenny Thomas, Anna Wallace, Gina Lutz, Kaida Takadai, Jackson Street, Melody Guthrie and Kitty Pryde

Thread that best shows off your writing: Training? and Jinxed.

Writing strengths? Quick responses with meat (so not just a few words). Digging into characters motivations a bit.

What are you working on as a writer? Making my posts longer, using different words and really trying to find ways of digging in further to the characters psyche.

What were the biggest influences to your writing? Heinlein, Lucas, Herbert, JMS, Whedon.

Favorite X-men storyline/comic/artist/series? Storyline: Reaching way way back is probably the inital Brood one or the original Dark Phoenix. Single issue comic: Uncanny X-Men 303; it was the first one that I ever picked up. Artists: Oh god, The Kurbert brothers (Andy and Adam); Silvestri; Madureira; Cockrim; Byrne; Lee (I keep telling you all I have problems choosing!). Series: Original New Mutants and Generation X. Uncanny comes in third just because it's the original.

What drew you to BMF? KEL! We had a game together that died and I told her I missed gaming with her so she sent me this site.

What is your favorite aspect of BMF? The community. The fact that people work together to create plots and interconnected characters. That ideas aren't just 'no' but willing to be worked with. And the unique application.

Where would you like to see BMF go in the future? Anywhere it can. More plots. More posts. To grow and get bigger and take over the world...

In Character Posting Dates: March 1, 2015 - May 15, 2015

Add Reply
New Poll

I'm going home..., April 10 | Tag Amara
Sam Guthrie
 Posted: Dec 29 2016, 04:02 PM
Cannonball

239 angst

Crypt
157 posts
25 years

Sam hoped Amara liked surprises. Well, he hoped that she would at least like this surprise.

The past month had gone by so very quickly; her boss had recovered and Amara had found herself working harder than ever. There was stuff at the Hellfire Club that he had no clue about, and other Nova Roma stuff that went over his head. All he knew of that front was that Amara was very happy and truthfully? So was he. His classes had picked up, he’d been working on his relationships with his siblings and at night? Well – Amara was very serious about having a kid. If anything, it had brought them closer.

He’d somehow, somewhere managed to explain that the only reason he pressed for the American wedding was for legality over their child, but he’d figured out as long as his name was on the birth certificate, he had legal rights. That was important to him. It was also important she realized that he wasn’t going to allow her to live alone. Ever – so they needed to figure a schedule in which they both agreed on. Time spent in half – half in America, Half in Nova Roma. Yes, there were hurdles, and yes, Nova Roma politics went over his head, but he was trying to learn. Week by week he was trying to learn.

It had taken him some finagling, and honestly? Help from others to finally get to Amara’s boss’s office manager. Once he finally got through (Thanks Cassi), he found her charming, if a tad over protective. Honestly? She reminded him of his mother – but she’d been roped in to help with his surprise.

He’d paid attention for a few weeks – really paid attention – in order to execute the next step. He actually packed a bag for Amara. As a man who’d been in a house full of women, he wasn’t a stranger to the basics. It was trying to make sure he got them all that was the trick. Yes. He made a list. Yes, he checked it twice. After all, where they were going required a variety of clothes. Especially in April. But in the end, he was confident that her carry on would have everything she needed – and a few pieces he’d bought just for her. He loved her in green – especially emerald green, and he’d found this sweater that he thought she would look amazing in. It was his first real foray into buying clothes for her, but if they were going to spend a life together, it was something he knew he needed to get used to.

Everything set up, Sam arrived at Amara’s work at lunch time. He had ridden into town with Cassi and Jax, and had passed the time until lunch walking around. Yes, he’s kept their bags in Cassi’s car – who’d some how gotten involved as well, but at least the young woman was saying more than two words to him. He had found some pretty flowers from a flower vender, and couldn’t resist buying them – even though he knew she’d need to leave them at work.

And so, when Amara got a text from Sam Meet you for lunch? I’m in the city….” He knew that she would be free. He’d seen to it. When he texted Amara he was downstairs, he waited by the escalator, flowers in hand. The man looked so out of place in the building filled with suits and formal outfits. He was dressed simply – a black T-shirt (neat), jeans and his cowboy boots.
”Afternoon, gorgeous…Ah’m glad yas were free for lunch…” He handed her the flowers, kissing her lightly. He noticed she had her jacket and purse-which was good. ”How has yas day been?” He started her walking towards the car, where Cassi had stored their bags – and where he had a cab waiting to take them to the airport. ”How has yas day been?” Strangely, he led her to the parking garage, and Cassi’s car, where he took out her suitcase, as well as his. At her inquisitive look, Sam teased lightly, ”Lunch isn’t in town….and yes, Gloria knows…”

PM
^
Amara Aquilla
 Posted: Jan 1 2017, 12:00 AM
Magma

339 angst

Izzy
386 posts
24 years

The past month had been difficult, and had challenged her on every possible level. But Amara thrived on challenges, and it helped that every night, she got to come home to Sam, and relax into their home. She hadn't realized it, but in the time she'd been away from the school, she'd missed it. Maybe not as intensely as she'd missed Nova Roma, but she had missed it.

That was a large part of the reason why she'd agreed so readily that they'd spend half of their time at Xavier's. At first she'd been thinking of buying a piece of land near the school, what Americans called a 'hobby farm', but she'd realized that she wanted Xavier's to be her second home. Not that she wouldn't try to make a few changes, after all, it wouldn't be good for the children to be away from livestock, and at least a large garden for half the year, but the students would benefit from that as well. Just as they would benefit from the weapons tutor and the private tutor, assuming she could hire people who didn't mind spending half the year outside. Sam just smiled and nodded when she talked about that part, it wasn't that he didn't care about Nova Roma, it was more that he was content to let her handle that part of their lives. Just as long as she was clear that they would be living together, as a family, no matter where they lived. And Amara was content to agree to that, although she was already trying to work out how things would be handled if she was too pregnant to travel safely, or had a newborn.

But they'd work that out, just like they'd work out the other details of their marriage contract, and in the end, what mattered was that they were going to be together, and that they were going to marry, and that they were going to make lots of beautiful children. Not that they'd managed to conceive yet, but Amara wasn't worried about that part. They were both young and healthy, and in the meantime, well, trying was very, very, enjoyable.

When she'd gotten the text inviting her to lunch, well, Amara felt a brief spike of apprehension. But no, this was a new phone, there had not been even a wiff of Kilpatrick's presence in weeks. And, she reminded herself with grim amusement, she wasn't about to get in to any strange cars alone.

Then she saw Sam, standing at the bottom of the escalator, and any worry instantly left her mind. She noted that his t-shirt and jeans stood out in a lobby full of suits, but that didn't bother Amara in the least. Sam was always neat and clean, and his clothes were perfectly appropriate for the situation, which, in this case, was taking his girlfriend out to lunch. Not that she didn't like a man in a well fitting suit, but sometimes....well, being vain about one's dress or flashy wasn't exactly proper, especially in a man, was it? Her own father made do with two new tunics and a new toga every year, woven by his own household. And if the fabric was of a fine quality, well, that just showed the quality of their flax and of their fleece, and the skill of the spinners.

Besides, Amara liked the way her man looked in a well fitting t-shirt. "My day has been very busy." Amara said "Things are less chaotic than they were, and really, we're almost back to normal. At least normal enough that Gloria is back to running the office, and can spare me for a bit. Thank you for the flowers, they're beautiful." she said, smiling at his thoughtfulness. When they got to the car, she started to get the idea that something was up.

"Thats the second time you've asked me how my day was." she said, a hint of amusement in her voice "Now tell me, what surprise do you have planned?" she liked surprises, and the ones that Sam came up with were always pleasant.
PM
^
Sam Guthrie
 Posted: Jan 8 2017, 03:59 PM
Cannonball

239 angst

Crypt
157 posts
25 years

Sam was a terrible liar. He knew he was a terrible liar. He knew that he was terrible at keeping secrets from those he loved, and he'd never really had a chance to keep a secret from someone he hated, so he didn't know if that would work or not. Either way, he was all too aware that his time with this surprise was short lived. The suitcases would give them away. Chances are Amara would realize something was up the moment he asked her to lunch; he normally was at Xavier's. She was so much smarter than he was; Sam wasn't even sure if the ruse vaguely worked - but in the end. He didn't care. He was taking his lovely girlfriend? Fiance'? His Amara to visit home - and he knew things didn't have to be perfect. They were together. That was enough.

Thank God for Ryan.

Yeah, Ryan. Ryan was somehow the filter that got Sam's head out of his ass and into where it should have been. And yeah, things were different in Nova Roma - but his bottom line was simple. They had to stay together. Period. Ryan was right. He might never have to deal with a winter again - save Christmas in Kentucky was important to him. Especially now...and since Amara was Pagan, and didn't really celebrate it, he figured it wouldn't be a problem. All the little details they'd figure out, eventually. But Sam's line in the sand was they didn't live apart - and Amara had accepted it.

He'd been incredibly nervous about today, even going as far as asking the same question twice. But Amara's day was going well - and that was important. If it hadn't been going well, she might balk at the plans - but that wasn't the case, so one problem down.

The car they got into was a cab, not a real car - and they'd stopped by Cassi's car to pull out luggage. One bag for Sam, one for Amara.

As he repeated his question, and Amara called him on it, Sam's face turned a slight shade of red, and he rubbed the back of his neck, looking embarrassed. He wasn't good at secrets, and this wasn't going to last much longer anyway, so he pulled the tickets out. "Ah wasn't lying. Ah'm taking yas out tah lunch...it's just....a later lunch, and we're nah gonna have th' lunch in th' city..." Knowing how Amara thought, he put a hand up. "Ah already worked it all out with Ms. Gloria. She knows yas are gone for th' day, and won't be in on Monday. Ah've...well, ah thought it was about time yas had a proper introduction tah Ma, and th' Little 'ins...." Sam handed her the airline ticket. Apparently, they were flying to Kentucky.

He waited for her reaction...
PM
^
Amara Aquilla
 Posted: Jan 20 2017, 10:18 PM
Magma

339 angst

Izzy
386 posts
24 years

Amara knew that something was up when Sam told her that he was coming in to the city to take her out to lunch, but she didn't know what, exactly he had planned. She was eager to find out, of course, and in any case, she enjoyed spending time with her boyfriend. She didn't think of him as her fiance, since they hadn't yet gotten engaged, either by American or Nova Roman custom, although they'd already decided, informally, to marry at some point.

The details of that would be hashed out in the coming weeks and months, including the details of where they would be when, and of course, what would happen if she was too pregnant to travel, or the baby was too young. She did know that Sam would want to spend Christmas with his family, and that was something Amara was willing to agree to. Yes, it would mean not being in Nova Roma for Saturnalia, but there were other holidays. But the point was, they would work the details out.

When they got to the cab, and she saw the bags...Amara began to realize that something was up. Something beyond a surprise lunch. And then Sam told her about his plans. She was happy, of course, she'd been looking forward to meeting his mother, and the rest of his siblings but..."Sam! I don't have anything to give to your mother as a gift and...." and then she burst out laughing "That is why you did this, isn't it? You knew that if you told me, I'd spend a week fussing over every detail." she put her arms around his neck and kissed him "I love you. And you're right. I should just go and enjoy my time, and not worry about making an impression."
PM
^
Sam Guthrie
 Posted: Feb 5 2017, 07:44 PM
Cannonball

239 angst

Crypt
157 posts
25 years

Sam had been nervous; this was all very much a surprise, and while he thought Amara would appreciate the surprise, it was a pretty big one. Yes, it was well meaning. She was so caught up in all these rules, and how things had to go. Contracts, rituals - he could respect that, but some nights he half expected her to introduce him to some women imported from Nova Roma who were going to do some sort of which Nova Roma dance over them while they made love. Yes, he'd had nightmares of that. This? This was his family.

His family was complex in personality, but simple in love. They were country folk, and they all loved each other. Truth, he didn't necessarily like some of his siblings, but he was working on that. Family was Family, and he planned to spend the rest of his life with Amara. He wasn't going to up and leave America forever and ever, but just as much as he wanted to stay in his home, he could respect Amara's desire to stay in her home. They would make it work. It was just that simple. He knew his mother would want a wedding, but the whole Nova Roma politcal thing still made his head hurt. That's why Ryan was way smarter than he was. He seemed to understand Amara and her crazy.

Sam was visibly relieved when Amara seemed to understand. Nodding, he said "This is about gettin' tah know Ma and th' others. Tisn't about gifts, or ritual....just about family. Ma's expecting us....." He started blushing slightly, warning, "Yas might get put in with th' other girls. Ah honestly don't know. Ma let Jay'n Cassi stay together, but...." He shrugged. Propriety was propriety. He was hoping they'd just get the same rules. Pants stay on. He could live with that.

The taxi dropped them off at JFK, and Amara was handed her ticket and her passport - just in case. Sam checked their bags at the curb, and headed them through the pre-check in. The entire time, his hand was on the small of her back. "Ah made sure Gloria cleared it all. Ah know yas would be worried, so...ah even asked her for, well.." He handed her an envelope - in which the woman had wished Amara a good weekend, and not to worry. Sam had tried to cover all bases.

They traveled through the security easily enough, and sat, waiting for the airplane. "Ah can't wait for yas to meet Ma, but more importantly - tah see th' far. Tis a beautiful thing. Jay's been helping out, making sure no one can take it from Ma while I was away..." That still stung his pride, but he was man enough to sing his brother's well earned praises. "Izzy's th' one that will be....challenging. She's often exhausted; she has a lil 'un, and th' Dadddy hurt her real bad..." It wasn't his place to get into the whole Cabot thing. If he was lucky, Amara wouldn't learn of it. If he was unlucky, the Cabots would come and try and welcome him.

Kissing her cheek likely, he asked hesitantly, "Okay so far?"
PM
^
Amara Aquilla
 Posted: Feb 15 2017, 10:55 PM
Magma

339 angst

Izzy
386 posts
24 years

In spite of Amara's reputation for being a free spirit, the truth was that she placed great importance on doing things in the right and proper way. When it came to Nova Roman practice, part of this was that adhering to tradition helped her feel less isolated from her home, and because she wanted to prove to her Father, and everyone else, that she was still a good daughter of Nova Roma. With Sam's family, part of it was that for all the time she'd spent in America, a lot of the way that American's ordered their family lives didn't really make sense to her, so she tended to err on the side of scrupulous politeness. At least until Sam reminded her to relax and be herself. And she tried, even when it didn't come naturally.

And even when some of her beloved's ways seemed a bit nuts to her. Like pretending that it wasn't about ritual, even if the ritual wasn't formalized. And pretending that she and Sam hadn't already shared a bed.
"Don't worry, Sam. I promise that I'll relax and just enjoy being in the country and having time to relax and not enjoy myself." she smiled "And if custom demands, I'll pretend that we've never shared a bed, or at least not for any reason other than sleep."

"I look forward to meeting your mother and the rest of the family." Amara replied "Jay told me a little about what happened with Isabelle, and with the baby's father, I'll try to avoid asking questions. I do hope we get along, though. Since Lia will be the closest in age to our children, if the gods are good to us. And no, I won't mention to your mother that we're trying to add to her list of grandchildren."

Amara leaned in and kissed him "I'm going away for a few days to spend time with my intended and his family. Everything is perfect."
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates

Skin altered for BMF by Ceri aka fairytale of SHINE and CAUTION 2.0