-->
SPOTLIGHT WRITER: ALIA

Characters: Jenny Thomas, Anna Wallace, Gina Lutz, Kaida Takadai, Jackson Street, Melody Guthrie and Kitty Pryde

Thread that best shows off your writing: Training? and Jinxed.

Writing strengths? Quick responses with meat (so not just a few words). Digging into characters motivations a bit.

What are you working on as a writer? Making my posts longer, using different words and really trying to find ways of digging in further to the characters psyche.

What were the biggest influences to your writing? Heinlein, Lucas, Herbert, JMS, Whedon.

Favorite X-men storyline/comic/artist/series? Storyline: Reaching way way back is probably the inital Brood one or the original Dark Phoenix. Single issue comic: Uncanny X-Men 303; it was the first one that I ever picked up. Artists: Oh god, The Kurbert brothers (Andy and Adam); Silvestri; Madureira; Cockrim; Byrne; Lee (I keep telling you all I have problems choosing!). Series: Original New Mutants and Generation X. Uncanny comes in third just because it's the original.

What drew you to BMF? KEL! We had a game together that died and I told her I missed gaming with her so she sent me this site.

What is your favorite aspect of BMF? The community. The fact that people work together to create plots and interconnected characters. That ideas aren't just 'no' but willing to be worked with. And the unique application.

Where would you like to see BMF go in the future? Anywhere it can. More plots. More posts. To grow and get bigger and take over the world...

In Character Posting Dates: March 1, 2015 - May 15, 2015

Add Reply
New Poll

Just a few questions..., thinking of joining
 Posted: Sep 28 2015, 01:42 PM

angst

N/A posts
years
N/A

Hi there!

I was looking over a few things, and this site interests me. I have been looking for a new home for my X-men characters for a while. And this place might fit the bill.

But first, I just have a few questions, regarding the characters I'd be bringing, and if they'd be allowed and all that.

Okay, so I admit I am no expert when it comes to X-men, and when I originally gave my characters powers, I didn't really have the 'technical' terms for them. So while I figure out if this site is a fit for them, maybe I can kill two birds with one stone as it were.

Anyway, so one of my characters, her main power is being able to transform her body into water or earth. Elements, basically. But not fire or wind or anything.
But she could also sort of transform herself, like make herself elastic/stretch, that kind of thing.

I had originally labeled this as molecular manipulation, for lack of something better. (And I realize this is a banned power here, as is biological manip.).
But now I am wondering if maybe this could count more like a form of shapeshifting or maybe a limited elemental manipulation.

Not that I'm trying to make a loophole to get her powers in here; I'm just trying to understand how best to refer to them.

A side power of this was that she had healing tears... and I know healing is one of your restricted powers. However, I'm not sure if hers is the same. Because it's not to heal herself, but to heal others...

Anyway, I'll stop there; I don't want to overwhelm with questions. smile.gif

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you could provide!
^
Eve
 Posted: Sep 28 2015, 02:22 PM
Plot Goddess

1285 angst

Ebe
254 posts
Older than my teeth... years

Hiya Guest!

We're always happy to work with you to figure out which powers will fit your idea best! happy.gif

So when I read your power descriptions, what it looks like to me is you have 3 powers:

Inorganic Shapeshifting (Water and Earth) (3 point power)
Elasticity Shapeshifting (3 point power)

Healing (others only) (3 point power)

Now, we allow our characters to start with 6 points worth of powers (physical mutations that are not combat oriented and only for RP purposes are free btw), but you can purchase power extensions during play.

Powers do, however, need to hold to a theme. Basically, we want to see them make sense with each other, so that leads me to a question that I want to pose back to you.

How does the healing tie into the shapeshifting? I know before you simply labelled this as molecular manipulation, but that power is banned on the site. We obviously have ways to work with people to give them what they really want, but while I can see how the ability to heal others ties in with molecular manipulation, I'm having some problems figuring out how it ties together with the shapeshifting.

Other than that, the other two powers work just fine. happy.gif

--Eve
PM
^
 Posted: Sep 29 2015, 01:47 PM

angst

N/A posts
years
N/A

Thanks for getting back to me!
Your answers help a great deal.

The healing tears -- yes, they fit more with the molecular manipulation, as you said. As I feel it's sort of a changing of body chemistry kind of thing.

And honestly, I might have originally added those just to have something else with the other powers. And by no means would I be too upset if I just disregarded them altogether. I don't think they would make or break the character, per se.

Just having the shapeshifting qualities I think would be enough.
(I sort of imagine it a bit like the SpiderMan villain Sandman, re: the earth/water; and with the elasticity, for lack of a better example, like Stretch Armstrong, ha).

Another question regarding this character and her place within the plot --

When I have previously played her, she's been independent of the factions.
And she basically ran an after-school program in the city for pre-teen/teen mutants to have a safe place to study and hang out with other mutants without fear of their safety.
So I'm wondering, would there be a place for this in your plot?

While I'm here, I might as well check on a couple of my other characters and their powers, haha.

I have one guy who I have listed as sonic manipulation and a soothsayer/lie detector, both of which I saw on your list. Fairly straightforward... basically he just manipulates sound waves, from high-pitched to very low-pitched and everything in between, whatever is needed.

My question really comes regarding another one of his powers is just part of that, or if you think it would be something separate.

I'm not sure if you are familiar with the Dune universe? But the power he has is something I sort of equate to Voice of the Mother Superiors in that series. Where he can just speak in a commanding way and sort of control the other person. (Which now that I put it into words, sounds really OP... so I understand if it's a no-go, or I need to weaken it/change it/disregard it).

And before you ask, I feel the lie detection power goes with the sonic abilities, because they're all sort of aural in a way. Like just hearing how a person speaks, he can tell if they're lying or not.

Then I have a third girl, whose powers are basically enhanced reflexes and precognition.

I'm not sure if I saw the former on any of your lists or not, but it would be a very amateurish version of that.

Same with the precog, which I saw was restricted. But for the character, it would be very limited. Like, maybe 5 seconds in the future at the most. I guess a little like Spidey sense? ha

Which would also give her less than 5 seconds to perform the enhanced reflexes/reaction time to sensing/noticing danger.

Again, thanks for indulging me and my whims. smile.gif
^
Crypt
 Posted: Sep 30 2015, 11:09 AM
Moneypenny

112 angst

Crypt
79 posts
N/A years

Hi Guest!

I'm another Mod=-)

Answers to questions part two!

1. Dropping the healing would make sense for what Eve said. So..that sounds like a plausible character!

2. Other characters - we do have a process for other characters. Currently, you have to have ten good posts on one character before apping a second. To app a third you need ten good posts on the second, twenty on the third. This continues. In the future, however, we're going to a "shop" where you can buy new character applications; that way will actually be a little bit easier.

a. After school program - I'm sure we can work something out!
b. Bene gesserit - The mind control power is a limited power and something that is (currently) not allowed. The sonic portion of it would be okay. Sonic Manipulation would be one power with Lie Detector as the secondary.
c. Enhanced Reflexes - Instead of Precog, hit up Danger Sense. It does what you want=-)

Any time!
PM
^
 Posted: Oct 1 2015, 10:31 AM

angst

N/A posts
years
N/A

Yup, I know about the process for multiple characters. smile.gif

I just wanted to sort of flesh out all my peeps, to see which would be possible here, and which I might want to go with first.

And thanks! I think I've got all my questions answered. I'll keep browsing around. smile.gif
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates

Skin altered for BMF by Ceri aka fairytale of SHINE and CAUTION 2.0