-->
SPOTLIGHT WRITER: ALIA

Characters: Jenny Thomas, Anna Wallace, Gina Lutz, Kaida Takadai, Jackson Street, Melody Guthrie and Kitty Pryde

Thread that best shows off your writing: Training? and Jinxed.

Writing strengths? Quick responses with meat (so not just a few words). Digging into characters motivations a bit.

What are you working on as a writer? Making my posts longer, using different words and really trying to find ways of digging in further to the characters psyche.

What were the biggest influences to your writing? Heinlein, Lucas, Herbert, JMS, Whedon.

Favorite X-men storyline/comic/artist/series? Storyline: Reaching way way back is probably the inital Brood one or the original Dark Phoenix. Single issue comic: Uncanny X-Men 303; it was the first one that I ever picked up. Artists: Oh god, The Kurbert brothers (Andy and Adam); Silvestri; Madureira; Cockrim; Byrne; Lee (I keep telling you all I have problems choosing!). Series: Original New Mutants and Generation X. Uncanny comes in third just because it's the original.

What drew you to BMF? KEL! We had a game together that died and I told her I missed gaming with her so she sent me this site.

What is your favorite aspect of BMF? The community. The fact that people work together to create plots and interconnected characters. That ideas aren't just 'no' but willing to be worked with. And the unique application.

Where would you like to see BMF go in the future? Anywhere it can. More plots. More posts. To grow and get bigger and take over the world...

In Character Posting Dates: March 1, 2015 - May 15, 2015

Add Reply

Bobby Drake ~ 23, Iceman ~ Shawn Ashmore
Bobby Drake
 Posted: Jul 3 2013, 05:23 AM
Iceman

5 angst

Raven
502 posts
25 years

Bobby Drake
"Raven"
I don't watch much TV. I tend to be a binge reader: get into a particular author, read everything I can by that author, then move on. Right now I'm re-reading LOTR aloud to my kiddo, as well as Richard Adams' Watership Down. I'm obsessed with Magic the Gathering, a passion discovered in the past couple of years that has become one of my primary escapes from real life.

timezonePacific
experienceNo real RP experience to speak of, though I've been writing stories since 4th grade.
ActivityAbout three times a week until I figure out my comfort level.
Admin?Not at this time.
canon/ocCanon
face claimShawn Ashmore

▽ Player Interview ▽

What is your character’s super power?

The simple definition of Bobby's power is that he makes ice. When I watched Spiderman and His Amazing Friends as a kid, Bobby covered himself in a layer of protective ice, shot ice at the bad guys, imprisoned the bad guys' feet in ice, and made cool slides.
But he doesn't just make ice, his ability to drastically lower his internal temperature to over a hundred degrees below freezing allows him to freeze the ambient moisture around him. He has control over the shape and consistency of the ice. Although originally he just coated his body in ice, he eventually was able to convert his entire body into ice, yet remain flexible. If he is injured while in ice form, he can rebuild himself out of the moisture in the air. When in ice form, he is basically a water elemental, and later in his story arc was possessed by Emma Frost and able to turn into liquid or vapor forms as well as ice.

The limits of Bobby's powers aren't really known as he tends to limit himself out of fear of what could happen to him or others if he truly cut loose. My playing of Bobby is when he is younger, still able to revert to human form, and hasn't been taken over by Emma Frost yet.

Information on Bobby's powers taken from the Marvel Universe Wiki and also from Comic Vine.

What are the drawbacks to their power? Or what other powers may affect it?

Bobby's main weakness is the same weakness we all suffer. He's human. He gets tired, he doubts himself, and he only has so much energy. His powers themselves don't have known limits, but as he uses them he gets tired and needs to rest. If he has spent a wild night partying, he's not going to last as long in a fight. He's also scared of his powers, worried about losing his human form, unsure of how much damage he might do to the climate of the entire world if he explored the outer limits of how much he could freeze. In playing Bobby, I want to explore his insecurities. He admires Logan's confidence and experience, Scott's leadership. He's comfortable being the comedian of the group, but ultimately he'd like to be more.

How do you see your character fitting into the site plot?

I jumped into this a little bit above, but I want to explore how Bobby naturally fits into the group as a ham as well as how he wants to be more like the characters he looks up to, Logan, Xavier, Scott. I like the idea of Xavier giving him the leadership of a small mission and how that might go. Bobby has always found the silver lining, which makes him a natural character for others to be drawn to after the race riots when tensions are high and optimism is hard to come by. The problem is, even though Bobby has always been able to find the joke in a situation, make light of dark times, he's particularly affected by hate of mutants. His entire town hated him out, and though Xavier wiped their minds of the event, Bobby remembers it vividly. The rejection of his entire community still burns. Even though his own parents stood by him, his father was openly uncomfortable with his son being a mutant, accepting that Bobby was a mutant, but intolerant of Bobby's friends, especially the ones with more obvious physical mutations. So when his teammates look to him for comic relief, he has some trouble providing it. In fact, I like the idea of the jokester being in a funk, moping around the mansion. Maybe Bobby's brother Ronny has some pretty anti-mutant tendencies fostered by growing up in an anti-mutant town. In X2, Ronny is actually the one who turns Bobby in to the authorities. Perhaps in the story Ronny was actually put in the Heston Detention Center.

What other characters on the site does your character know or would interact with?

As mentioned above, Bobby idolizes Logan, looks up to and envies Scott and views Xavier as more of a father than his actual father. I see him having an ongoing friendship with some of the other prankster mutants and those mutants being stumped as to why he's such a stick in the mud recently.

What are your short and long term goals for your character?

Short term goal for Bobby is to find his optimism again. Maybe try to bury the hatchet with his sibling released from the HDC. Longer term I want him to try, fail often, and then try again to be more of a leader. I see him going on a walkabout of sorts, spending some time on his own and returning to the group as a more confident leader, though I'm not sure how this would work in a roleplay that depends on interaction with other characters

What kind of plot/s would you like to see? Or see for your character?

I definitely want to give Bobby a chance to explore what his powers can do, take some risks, so plots where he has to use his powers in new ways that might entail dangerous results would be good. Having to go on a mission where he ends up needing to protect people from the town he was hated out of would be interesting.

▽ IC Interview ▽

Standing in front of a mirror, what do you see? What do you like and dislike about what you see?

I see a fit, 23-year-old, attractive white man. I say it like that because, you know, that's kind of the gold standard of normalcy in America. Because I learned early that it was in my best interest to keep my mutant powers a secret, I appreciate how I can hide in my fairly ordinary appearance. I know women look at me as I pass by, but this actually worries me. What if I slip up and ice over a bit when they're watching? That wouldn't be cool at all. Oh yeah, I have no shame in dropping the ice puns, so don't expect any apologies there. The professor himself is always saying not to apologize for who we are. I will say one thing, I've got skin a supermodel would envy. Switching to ice and back pretty often rejuvenates my human body, so I look like a million bucks.

What is your favorite clothes? What do you wear clubbing? Sunday in front of the TV?

Bobby Drake's style, eh? Well I'll admit I'm a bit of a conundrum. As I said before, I like to fit in, but I also don't mind being noticed. Clothes and me have a funny relationship in that when I'm iced over, I'm basically naked. I'm in complete control of how my body looks in ice form, so I generally keep it looking family friendly, if you know what I mean. But there was that one time I made Rogue scream when I frosted up a giant... I'm going on a tangent aren't I... sorry. Since my ice form doesn't have clothes, I tend to pay attention to what I wear when I do get dressed. Logan calls me 'preppy' for a reason. Even when I'm hanging out watching TV I probably put on a polo and some cargo shorts.

What makes you happy? Sad? Angry? Turned on?

Turned on? What kind of interview is this? Well I guess horns make me horny. No seriously, mutant girls that have horns coming out of their heads? I don't know what it is about them, maybe since I'm always cast as the 'aw shucks' good kid, I like being around a girl who looks a little like the devil. Let's hit angry next. I'm really patient, and I have a long fuse. All this business with the race riots, that doesn't really make me angry. I grew up around that stuff, I understand human beings and how they can think like that. Even when some guy is a ll livid and slobbering in my face "Die Mutie!", I don't get angry. In fact that makes me sad. How long this whole process of learning to get along is going to take, that makes me sad too. Hmmm, not sure what really ticks me off. Oh, I'll tell ya what does it, seeing a parent mistreat their kid, not accept him for who he is. Being bigoted is natural to human beings, so I can be patient with that. But how many thousands of years of existence will it take us to figure out how to treat kids right? I mean come on! A dad wanting his kid to be something he's not? That pisses me off. Next question. Oh, did I skip happy? I've been kind of low on the happy lately, so that's a tough one to answer, otherwise I'd be doing whatever it was. I guess I'm still happier being here with my friends than if I wasn't, you know? Family makes me happy, and these folks here, they're my family.

Were you raised by your family? Was it a productive relationship?

Let's get this straight. I love my mom and dad and Ronny. I forgive them for some of the crap they gave me, thought that doesn't mean I've given up trying to make them more tolerant. Even my mom looks at me funny when she thinks I'm not watching. I can often tell someone's lying since I can sense body temperature, and more often than not, when I ask someone in my family how things are going, they say everything is fine when it's not. I know they argue about me when I'm not there. I've seen Dad drunk on several occasions wishing his son had never turned into a mutant, even though I've told him plenty that I always had the X gene. Do I have a productive relationship with my family? I guess we produce some good arguments, but we also produce laughs.

When did you know you had abilities others didn't? Did it change your life?

I was thirteen, and in health class they told us to expect our bodies to start changing, you know, pimples, voice changing, hairs in funny places. I didn't dare to raise my hand and ask if it was normal to wake up in the morning with your blankets frosted over. Things like that kept happening. Water droplets on my skin would freeze, people would ask me how come my skin was so cold, but I didn't really use my powers until my fourteenth birthday.
I was out on a date with this girl, Judy when this total hole named Rocky started giving us a hard time. Thing is, I have a pretty thick skin, even when I'm not iced over, but when he went to push Judy I just reacted. I felt this swell of rage, but instead of, you know, feeling all hot like most people do when they get angry, I felt this sudden plunge in my body temperature. It's sort of like when you drink a cool glass of water on a hot day and you feel the temperature change in your throat and stomach? Yeah, like that for my entire body and a hundred times more intense. Only thing was, it felt totally right. In that moment I could sense the moisture in the air around Rocky as easily as you can see me now, and with a thought I froze it. His friends took one look at him encased in a solid block of ice and ran off screaming.

Did that change my life? You could say that. Next thing I know I'm in jail for my own protection.

What happened to your during the Riots? Have you experienced any other anti-mutant behavior?

You see, before the race riots, I actually thought things were getting better. We'd saved the day a few times, gotten some good PR, and when I talked with my folks they said people in town were starting to talk about us as heroes. It's funny how a few highly publicized incidents change everything. Suddenly we were terrorists and nothing I could say or do changed a thing. I've heard a few mutants talking about setting up our own country somewhere, and you know, as ridiculous as that sounds, it kind of makes sense. But I tell you, that kind of thinking scares me too, so I've been trying to lay low and remain neutral. I feel helpless, to tell you the truth, and with Ronny coming out of the HDC soon... you know... let's talk about something else.

Are you still towing the line alone, or do you hang out with a group of mutants? Why did you pick them?

X-men equals family. And you don't leave family. Next question.

What is your current living situation? How do you pay the bills?

Living at the mansion with the other X-men. Honestly I don't go out that much. I used to work for an accounting firm, but they got fed up with me taking leaves so often. But my skills are sharp enough that they give me some consulting work on the side, mostly stuff I can do online.

Are you in a relationship? If not, is there someone you would like to be?

I've had a few hookups when I've gone into town for a drink. But I can't get serious. I know hard times drives some people together, right? But I want to be a family man someday, have kids, the whole shebang, and this isn't a world to do that in.

Outside of your abilities, what are you good at? What can you brag about?

I can juggle. Oh, and this is kind of funny, considering my powers, but I'm a good cook. Cooking is about temperature control, and even though I don't have any fire powers, I'm extremely sensitive to temperature. I totally know when that steak is done, just by opening myself up to the environment. I'm also good at math. And people say I'm funny, though recently I've been more of a party pooper.
I'm also a good dancer. You know, my mom used to put on Sinatra or Torme and teach me ballroom steps.

Everyone has vices, what are yours? Any guilty pleasures?

Video games. And stupid video games, no first person shooters, I'm talking Mario Cart. I totally pwn at that game.

Ok, last chance! What should we know about you?

Okay, I gotta tell you this story. Don't know why it popped in my head just now... maybe because this interview has been way too serious and I need a little levity.
So my first year in the academy, Logan was teaching this class on tactics and survival. The thing is, we didn't really know what a bad-ass he was. He talked rough, but we all thought he was an old veteran who had seen his last battle years ago. I love Logan, but he didn't really know how to teach a class of rowdy mutant teens, and we'd all make fun of how he never smiled in class.

So one day I decide to see if I could crack him with a little prank. Here's how it went down. I get to class a little early and I make a sculpture. Looks just Logan. Even back then I had excellent control. Only thing is, I sculpt him with his pants down and make it rather, unflattering. So Logan walks into class and doesn't even blink. He teaches the whole flippin class standing next to my sculpture. All the other kids are snickering, but I'm not. The situation is unnerving. Then he dismisses the class.

Just as I'm about to walk out the door I hear that sound that we all know so well. Thing is, this is the first time I've heard it. Logan didn't pop his claws just any old time. But even though it's the first time, I know immediately what it is and I freeze. Not literally, though that would've been smart considering what Logan can do when he gets annoyed, but I stop dead in my tracks.

"Hey Bub," he growls at me. "Why don't you stay a second." I slowly turn around. He's grinning from ear to ear. With a flick of the wrist he, uh, dismembers the sculpture. The shatter of ice on the floor is the only sound in the room. "Not bad, Bobby... but could ya make me about three inches more accurate?" I try an anxious grin and then turn to leave, but he's not having it. Logan doesn't have superspeed, but his muscles aren't normal human muscles, his twitch fibers are like an animal's. In a flash the claws are blocking my way. "Bub, don't know if ya heard what I said. Fix the damn statue. I wanna take a picture for a souvenir." I, uh, augment the statue. He stands there looking at it for a moment, nods in approval and waves me off. I'm pretty sure the photo he took is still hanging up in that classroom.

Bobby Drake didn't often sign out one of the X Mansion's bikes. Riding to let off steam was more Logan's style. But if two sessions in the Danger Room didn't calm him down, he figured he'd do the other X-men a favor and not inflict his mood on them. He stood in the equipment room of the garage, pondering a helmet. Logan never wore a helmet.

Bobby ripped a helmet off the rack and slid it on. He didn't have a healing factor. If he iced up he'd easily survive a motorcycle crash, but wouldn't that be something, Iceman in leathers. And why did he keep comparing himself to Logan?

The garage door whispered open as he rolled the bike toward it. He barely got it started when Kurt appeared next to him. The dim memory of some project Kurt had asked him to help on surfaced and for a moment he considered turning off the bike to talk. But the frustration that had been dogging him all day surged up inside him, sending a wave of cold from his center out to his fingertips, frosting the surface of his gloves. He revved the engine, waved at Kurt, and sped out the door down the driveway, not bothering to slow down in case the main gates didn't open in time. Part of him felt like a daredevil, part of him felt the fool. He'd apologize to Kurt later on. Right now, he needed to get out of his head, and out of the mansion.

He'd been on the road an hour when he passed into the town of Handel, population three thousand according to its bullet-ridden sign. The only signs of life in the town were at the Crossroads gas station, and the Tavern. The bike still had plenty of gas, so he opted for the second.

"Still trying to be Logan," said the voice in the back of his head. He ignored it, parked the bike, and approached the bar.

A hand shot out in front of him. "ID kid?"

That was certainly something Logan hadn't heard in awhile. Bobby pulled out his license. He'd been legal to drink for a couple of years, but he knew he looked young for his age. He also looked like a normal human being, which meant that, aside from the usual "who's the stranger" looks he got from the locals drinking inside, he could easily fit in. Fitting in was an ability that had made him feel better about his mutant status not to long ago. Now it just made him feel guilty. Why shouldn't he wear his mutant badge with pride? Would he be uncomfortable sauntering in with Kurt? Maybe he should ice up right now, give them something to really stare at. "You're doing great at running away from your thoughts, aren't you Bobby?" his annoying inner voice chimed in. Yeah, time to put that voice to bed with a shot of bourbon. Rogue liked bourbon, probably because it was Gambit's preferred liquor, and usually when he knocked one back she was his drinking buddy. Not that he really got drunk. Alcohol freezes at -114 celsius, easy enough for him to freeze in his mouth and then melt as slowly as he needed to keep from getting inebriated. He was a prankster, but he certainly wasn't a frat boy. Getting loaded wasn't his idea of a good time.

But tonight he wasn't looking for a good time, he was looking to get away from some of the bad times they'd all been dealing with lately. Friggin' race riots. The X-men were superheroes for Chrissake. How could they be due so much hate?

"Can I get you a glass of milk kid?" The bartender was a grizzled woman who looked like she'd seen plenty of bar fights and likely finished them. Bobby liked her.

"Yes ma'am! And put double shot of Maker's right next to it, straight."

"A little naughty with your nice, you got it kid." Bobby laughed as she pulled a carton of milk from the fridge and poured him a tall glass, setting a highball glass of bourbon next to it.

"Don't laugh, boy," a voice called from somewhere in the bar, "milk's good for you. Need all the strength you can get with that mutie school down the road." Laughter rang out and glasses clinked around the room. So much for escaping from his troubles. Bobby set the glass down and turned to identify the jokester, but everyone in the room was in on the joke at that point and the culprit wasn't clear. But the bartender called him out.
"Knock it off Frank. I won't have any of that crap in my bar, especially as we wouldn't have a bar if the X-men hadn't put out that fire!"

But Frank wasn't done. Whether he'd had too many lite beers, or he just enjoyed the attention, the bartender's admonition wasn't going to stop his soapbox spiel.

"Lindy, you know as much as I do they're just mugging for the press! They probably started that fire so they could put it out for the cameras!" A chorus of "Yeahs" followed this last statement and Bobby realized his chance of a quiet drink at the bar was gone. He threw back the bourbon and stood up to face Frank.

"Listen, Frank is it? Well, Frank, I gotta say, some of those mutants are total assholes." The bar cheered, and few shouted "Hey this kid's alright." Bobby held up his hands. "Not done yet.. hang on. But I want to see a show of hands of people who haven't met a non-mutant who's a total asshole. Right? In the same vein, I owe my life to several mutants and non-mutants, and it had nothing to do with getting good PR. Now if you'll excuse me, I've had a rough day, and I need to have a conversation with my drink for a bit."

A round of quiet grumbling rolled through the room, but nobody challenged him, so Bobby sat down to finish his drink. But he felt the patrons staring at him, and the point of his little escape from his daily routine was long gone. Now if he was more like Logan, this would've been the perfect opportunity for some stress relief of the brawl variety. But he was Bobby Drake. He never enjoyed hurting others. He realized Kurt was probably worried about him taking off like he did. What the hell was he doing here listening to the bigotry of strangers when he could be home talking out his feelings with his friends? He downed the last of his milk and paid Liddy enough to make even a hardened barkeep raise an eyebrow.

Bobby walked out of the bar just in time to see Frank, the barroom heckler, stumble his way out into the street. Frank was having enough trouble keeping his feet under him. He certainly didn't see the Mustang squeal around the corner and head straight for him. But Bobby saw it. Training kicked in. There was no thought of, "I guess I'll help this guy even though he's a racist jerk," there was no thought at all. It was instantly clear he wouldn't be quick enough to run out to the road and push Frank out of the way, and yelling at him would only make him stop in his tracks and turn around. No time for finesse, he froze the moisture in the air behind Frank and then sent it flying forward, taking Frank off his feet for a moment and out of the way of the careening vehicle. Frank came to his senses a few moments later in the pile of snow that had cushioned his fall, too drunk to wonder why he landed in snow in the middle of July. As soon as Bobby saw that Frank was going to live to hate another day, he got on his bike and made a bee-line for the X mansion.

For some reason he actually felt better. It didn't make sense. The encounter at the bar should've pissed him off more. But as he thought about it he realized what it came down to was that he did the right thing. He couldn't control the actions or thoughts of others, but he could control himself. He could've pulled a Logan and laid waste to the entire bar and most of its occupants. But he took the path that he respected the most, the path of the hero. He wasn't a man ruled by his temper, but by his code. That was something to be proud of, and for the first time in days he felt his depression lift from him. He even started planning a prank to pull on Kurt when he got back to the mansion. After apologizing of course.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Root
 Posted: Jul 9 2013, 02:39 PM
N/A

3095 angst

Oatu
531 posts
N/A years

Bobby is approved! Make sure you post your claims and your plotter.

Let an admin know if you need help.

Welcome to BMF.
PMEmail
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply

Affiliates

Skin altered for BMF by Ceri aka fairytale of SHINE and CAUTION 2.0