-->
SPOTLIGHT WRITER: ALIA

Characters: Jenny Thomas, Anna Wallace, Gina Lutz, Kaida Takadai, Jackson Street, Melody Guthrie and Kitty Pryde

Thread that best shows off your writing: Training? and Jinxed.

Writing strengths? Quick responses with meat (so not just a few words). Digging into characters motivations a bit.

What are you working on as a writer? Making my posts longer, using different words and really trying to find ways of digging in further to the characters psyche.

What were the biggest influences to your writing? Heinlein, Lucas, Herbert, JMS, Whedon.

Favorite X-men storyline/comic/artist/series? Storyline: Reaching way way back is probably the inital Brood one or the original Dark Phoenix. Single issue comic: Uncanny X-Men 303; it was the first one that I ever picked up. Artists: Oh god, The Kurbert brothers (Andy and Adam); Silvestri; Madureira; Cockrim; Byrne; Lee (I keep telling you all I have problems choosing!). Series: Original New Mutants and Generation X. Uncanny comes in third just because it's the original.

What drew you to BMF? KEL! We had a game together that died and I told her I missed gaming with her so she sent me this site.

What is your favorite aspect of BMF? The community. The fact that people work together to create plots and interconnected characters. That ideas aren't just 'no' but willing to be worked with. And the unique application.

Where would you like to see BMF go in the future? Anywhere it can. More plots. More posts. To grow and get bigger and take over the world...

In Character Posting Dates: March 1, 2015 - May 15, 2015

Add Reply
New Poll

Dr. Nadia Sloane, UPC | 35
Nadia Wisdom
 Posted: Jul 17 2015, 10:32 PM
Doc

310 angst

Crypt
384 posts
35 years

Dr. Nadia Sloane
Player Info
Player Alias:Crypt
Activity Level:A lot; depends on lengths
RP Experience: 25+ years

Top 3 Authors: Kelley Armstrong, Jim Butcher, J.D. Robb
Top 3 Bands: Lindsey Stirling, Chopin, Two Cellist
Top 3 Movies: Mission Impossible, The Bourne Saga, Resident Evil

Mod Interest: Yup
Character Info
Faction: UPC
Codename: None
Face Claim: Jaime Murray
Eyes & Hair:Hazel & Brown
Height: 5’ 7”
Weight: 120lbs
Scars, Marks or Tats:Scars on her back from her captivity. Trinity knot on her inner right wrist.

PLAYER INTERVIEW -
- Your views on your character.
What strengths and weaknesses does your character bring to the the story?
Forensic Psychiatrist
Nadia has gone through all the schooling to be a licensed psychiatrist, with a focus on forensic analysis. This means she has gone through medical school, and has passed all her board certifications to be a licensed practicing doctor. Her focus is human behavior; she is, in layman’s terms, a criminal profiler with medical degree.

Exceptional Charisma
There are some people in the world that are naturally likeable.. Nadia is one of those people. She has the ability to put people at ease without any pretense. Though she is beautiful, her natural charisma allows others to view that as just an added bonus, and not a threat. Her smile is wide and winsome, and people are naturally drawn to her. She can sway a crowd with her words. This is purely a natural talent; it is not extra or supernatural at all. This, of course, coupled with her degree in psychiatry makes her an excellent negotiator, or one manipulator.

Natural Linguist
Languages have always come easily to Nadia. She picked up fluency in Spanish, French and Russian by the time she left high school, as well as taking several courses in German. They continued to be something she dabbled with in University; she picked up a double major in psychology and romance languages. She has auditory comprehension of a half a dozen more. Languages are a code to her; she is able to pick apart even those with which she is unfamiliar.

UPC Training
She is a trained UPC agent. As such, she is proficient with side arms, has hand to hand combat training and is able to move in body armor. She looks at data and analyzes it, which means she can serve as an excellent command center operator.

Nightmares
During the unrest within the UPC, Nadia was captured by a group of mutants who wanted information regarding the UPC. They believed, because she was just an analyst, that she would be easy to break. That was not what happened. As such, she endured an extended time under the ‘care’ of very bad men who tortured her mentally and physically. Because of these traumas, she suffers from extreme nightmares.

Intimacy Issues
Because of the abandonment by her mother, and the infidelity of her husband, Nadia does not allow people past a certain level of intimacy. She is friendly with everyone, but there is a part of her she holds back in relationships. She doesn’t have any real close friends at the start of her story; getting past her defenses will be a challenge.

What equipment (if any) does your character own/use?
Nadia is a simple woman. She has items standard for a woman in her position - a nice condo, a nice car, several computers, a smart phone. In addition, she has a gun she purchased on her own, and the weapons are issued to her as a UPC Agent.

What other characters on the site does your character know or interact with?
Scott Summers - She has been assigned to work directly with him as the UPC higher ups want her to evaluate Scott Summers, as well as work take a more active roll with field work.
Lucas - After her captivity, Nadia wanted to not be as easily taken. Once she was cleared medically, she went to Lucas to train her in hand to hand combat.

What are your short and long term goals for your character?
Short Term Goals - Get her onto the board and into some UPC centric plots. I’d love to explore the fact she is smart, but has a very real core of her that she keeps separate due to her hesitancy to allow herself to get close to someone.

Long Term Goals - I’d love to get her moving about with the high rollers on the board. I’d like to see her get into the political scenes. Perhaps get dragged into some Hellfire Club situations, but not as a high roller, but someone who stumbles onto it and starts pulling at threads. She’s analyst. Any sort of plot in which she can analyze is great with me!

What kind of plot/s would you like to see? Or see for your character?
See above =-)
I want to see her interact with Christian Frost on the political level. I want to see some plots bringing the UPC into a better light. I want to have her have to confront mutants not being “good” and getting some catharsis for her the attach. I’d love to have her in some relationships - not necessarily ship, though those are always welcomed.
CHARACTER INTERVIEW -
- In character interview questions.
Standing in front of a mirror, what do you see? What do you like and dislike about what you see?
I am a woman, mid 30s, who is moderately attractive. The beauty would be considered classical, although with the right application of make up, it could be perceived as sultry. As humans judge on appearances first, and actions second, my appearance is an asset to any interaction with another human. My hair is long and I wear it down; this gives off the illusion I am not a control freak. My fingers are well manicured and often painted in muted colors; this provides the spectator with the understanding I care about my looks and personal grooming. I am athletic in build; this allows the spectator to understand I care about my body, and I am willing to do the work to take care of it.I know my attractiveness can be used as an asset; when appropriate, it is a factor in an interaction.

What are your favorite clothes? What do you wear for a special night out? Relaxing on Sunday?
I am a Forensic Psychiatrist; I work a high profile position with a highly political organization. As such, it behooves me to wear clothes that reflect my position. Slacks, button up blouses, a jacket. I do not lean towards three piece suits unless I am in court. Sensible shoes; heels with support can be purchased that are both visually appealing and functional. For a special night out, it depends on the situation. I enjoy dressing up, and I enjoy looking like a woman. For a night at the symphony? I would wear a floor length dress. For a night out to dinner? A simple dress, modest - but one that also covers up my scars. A proper lady understands that there is something alluring in the mystery of what is under the dress.

Though I enjoy dressing up for an evening out or for work, around the house I am very comfortable in jeans and a loose, cotton shirt. I prefer to be barefoot.

What makes you happy? Sad? Angry?
I am a trained psychiatrist; I have seen the heights of human nature, as well as the deepest depravities. My father makes me happy; he is a man who has endured hardships he never should have endured - and yet here he is, by my side. The smile of a child makes me happy; the innocence of youth is a very real thing, and one that should be treasured for the precious gift in which it is. The purity of music; if there is a universal language, it is the language of music. Just ask any room to sing Amazing Grace. They will be able to. There is a reason why music is so pervasive throughout history. It is important to our society.

As for the negative emotions, a great deal makes me sad or angry. My ex husband makes me angry. Very angry. He left me after he cheated on me, with someone I thought was my friend. I struggled for several years to find reason within that act, and still have unresolved issues because of it. Hatred makes me both sad and angry. Judge a person by their actions, not their powers, or lack their off. This situation is no different than women’s rights, or the rights of different ethnic or sexual orientations. Build a bridge, get over it. The UPC, and what happened during the siege makes me angry. The UPC isn’t a bad place; it is needed and necessary in an age where people can control other people with their minds - but a corrupt individual sullied its name and now we have to work to rebuild the public trust in it. We will rebuild it!

Were you raised by your family? Was it a productive relationship?
You want to talk about family now? Well (remarked dryly) Here is where we establish my very firm Mommy issues. I was born in 1978 to Johnathan Sloan and his girlfriend, Ellen. They lived in upper New York. My father was ecstatic to have a child; Ellen less so. Never the less, the two tried to make their conventional for the time relationship work. It lasted three years; just enough time for me to have memories of my mother, but not enough for any deep emotional ties. When I was three, Ellen went to Dad, announced she didn’t love him, she never loved him, and that she was tired of living the domestic life. She didn’t have a motherly bone in her body, and she kept the kid for his benefit alone.

From that point, Dad struggled to be mother and father to me. He brought me to dance class when I decided I was going to be a ballerina in first grade. In third grade, I announced I was going to be a soccer player, and thus soccer teams were the daily staple. By middle school, I had lost my enthusiasm for sports and focused on the whys and hows of the human body. Why did some people get more sick than others? Why were some people bad, why others not? Why did the English language, when compared to other languages, make no sense? How did a true democracy work and what part did technology have within this form of government?

I was a damned precocious child. Every parent’s nightmare. I started to prove myself smarter than my father; but that didn’t stop him from helping. As a mid-level engineer, money was tight and he tried to hide that fact from me. He took a second job to support me and give me opportunities. It was this period, that I grew to be more self sufficient that my peers; I knew how to take care of herself, the house, and in some cases, the bills. When I realized how financially strapped we were, I took on a job herself to help contribute to the family.

The bottom line of all of this is my father gave me everything - sacrificed everything for me. I had a mother who didn’t want me, and that’s led to some very real questions on if I could be a mother, but that’s not a subject for right now. Dad pushed me to get scholarships to college, and supported me, emotionally through medical school.

What is your feeling about mutants?
Mutants are people, and should be treated as people. Judge people by their actions, not their abilities.

Where were you and what were you doing during the Race Riots?
I was in my residency. The race riots hit us hard because I was working in med school. I got to see, first hand, some of the horrors the violence created. It is the reason I actually joined the UPC. I wanted to help those people who’d been filled with such hate, and I wanted to help those affected by that hate. If I could take clues, take information, and find people who were hurting others, well - I’d be a great member of society, wouldn’t I?

What is your current living situation? How do you pay the bills?
I work for the UPC. When I was first hired, it was a forensic analyst, and I was damn good at my job. I was hired to sometimes do intake, but mainly look at situations from a psychological point of view. It was a job I enjoyed, and one with which I excelled.

Then the siege happened. Everyone knows about the siege. I was one of the idealistic ones. I believed what I was told, though I had a healthy dose of skepticism, but all my requests for interviews were turned down.

And then I was taken. You see, there was an extreme mutant group who wanted to break into the UPC and free the mutants within. They thought I was the perfect mark - a doctor, not a field agent. One who supposedly had compassion. They...tortured me, did horrible things to me, to try and get me to talk. I did not. I still bear the scars, emotionally and physically. UPC peacekeepers eventually founds me, but not before I was severely wounded. It took me nearly two months to recover.

Now I’ve been assigned to work with Scott Summers. Part of that, from the directors, is to counsel him. Part of that is because they want me to be the new face of the UPC. Beautiful. Charismatic. A human who’d survived a mutant assault. Part of it, apparently, is that I’ve come to the attention of Mr. Summers, and he’d like to see me in the field more.

Are you in a relationship? If not, is there someone you would like to be?
No, No I am not in a relationship. I’ve been divorced, three years? I was married when I was 25. His name was Carl. We were young, in love and I thought he was my everything. I really did. We met in college; we had so much in common - our style of books, music, friends. Our wedding was a fairy tale; our divorce a horror story. Needless to say, I moved away from Boston after I got my job with UPC, and I haven’t looked back. There hasn’t been anyone serious since then, and I doubt there will be. I caught him cheating on me, and yet, it was somehow my fault. I am not going to be a victim...but it doesn’t mean I have to actively seek out another partner. I’ll stand on my own two feet, thank you very much.

What are you good at? What can you brag about?
I am wicked smart. No, I’m not super human smart, but around normals, I’m the smartest person in the room. It’s not arrogance; it’s just fact. I love reading, and read new journals, books- anything, all the time. I pick up languages easily, which is why I’m fluent in so many. I’m likable. I know you win more people with sugar than vinegar, and try to live by that rule.

Everyone has vices or guilty pleasures, what are yours?
Sleeping in. I have too much to do, and too little time to sleep in, but occasionally it happens. I’ve been told I’m a Type A personality. Won’t most people don’t realize is I’m an introvert. Yes, I can interface with the public, but I recharge in a smaller setting. I always am doing something productive, so to sit around do nothing? I listen to music and am passionate about classical and musical, but I don’t view that as a guilty pleasure. I drink, sometimes to excess - especially with the nightmares. That would be considered a vice.

Ok, last chance! What should we know about you?
Nadia is an idealist. She sees the good in people inherently. She doesn’t think she’ll make a very good mother because her mother left her. There is a part of her that is always striving to prove herself because of that lack. Second place is first loser. She wants to find love, but thinks there most be something unlovable with her, because first her mother left her, and then her husband. She is fiercely loyal.

PM
^
Nadia Wisdom
 Posted: Jul 18 2015, 12:25 AM
Doc

310 angst

Crypt
384 posts
35 years

DONE
PM
^
Eve
 Posted: Jul 18 2015, 12:30 AM
Plot Goddess

1285 angst

Ebe
254 posts
Older than my teeth... years

Thank you for your application! It could take us up to 48 hours to review the app and get back to you. In instances where we need a third day, you will be notified by an admin.
PM
^
Eve
 Posted: Jul 22 2015, 04:42 AM
Plot Goddess

1285 angst

Ebe
254 posts
Older than my teeth... years

Congratulations! You are approved. Make sure you fill out your Face Claim & Who’s Who. We have a community AIM chat group for plotting, and if you'd like to be involved, contact a staff member. Lastly, familiarize yourself with the posting timeline for new threads.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates

Skin altered for BMF by Ceri aka fairytale of SHINE and CAUTION 2.0