-->
SPOTLIGHT WRITER: ALIA

Characters: Jenny Thomas, Anna Wallace, Gina Lutz, Kaida Takadai, Jackson Street, Melody Guthrie and Kitty Pryde

Thread that best shows off your writing: Training? and Jinxed.

Writing strengths? Quick responses with meat (so not just a few words). Digging into characters motivations a bit.

What are you working on as a writer? Making my posts longer, using different words and really trying to find ways of digging in further to the characters psyche.

What were the biggest influences to your writing? Heinlein, Lucas, Herbert, JMS, Whedon.

Favorite X-men storyline/comic/artist/series? Storyline: Reaching way way back is probably the inital Brood one or the original Dark Phoenix. Single issue comic: Uncanny X-Men 303; it was the first one that I ever picked up. Artists: Oh god, The Kurbert brothers (Andy and Adam); Silvestri; Madureira; Cockrim; Byrne; Lee (I keep telling you all I have problems choosing!). Series: Original New Mutants and Generation X. Uncanny comes in third just because it's the original.

What drew you to BMF? KEL! We had a game together that died and I told her I missed gaming with her so she sent me this site.

What is your favorite aspect of BMF? The community. The fact that people work together to create plots and interconnected characters. That ideas aren't just 'no' but willing to be worked with. And the unique application.

Where would you like to see BMF go in the future? Anywhere it can. More plots. More posts. To grow and get bigger and take over the world...

In Character Posting Dates: March 1, 2015 - May 15, 2015

Add Reply
New Poll

Asher Sadiki, X-Men | Anthony Stewart Head
Asher Sadiki
 Posted: Jan 24 2016, 01:46 AM
Decibel

68 angst

Crypt
33 posts
61 years

Asher Sadiki
Player Info
Player Alias:Crypt
Activity Level:All the posts
RP Experience: More than the X Kid’s have been alive
Top 3 Authors: John Milton, Ray Bradbury, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Top 3 Bands: L. Stirling, Chopin, Rachmaninoff
Top 3 Movies: None
Mod Interest:collapses into giggles
Character Info
Faction:X-Men
Codename: Decibel
Face Claim: Anthony Steward Head
Age/DOB: 61; Feb 20, 1954
Eyes & Hair: Blue eyes, greying hair
Height:/Weight: 6’1”; 220lbs
Registration Status: Unregistered
Scars, Marks or Tats: Of course not!

PLAYER INTERVIEW -
- Your views on your character.
Sound Manipulation (3 points) Asher can shape and manipulate sound. Sound must be present; he cannot create, and he must be withing 150 feet. He must be able to hear the sound with which he is manipulating.

Applications:
Silence - Asher can create a area of silence the size of a 12x12 room
Amplify - He can amplify sounds, making them louder. He cannot exceed 100 decibels. He can also reverse this and mute something.
Whisper Wind This is a particular technique he learned in order to literally whisper words into his wife's ear. He can speak / whisper into his hand and transmit the sound into another person's ear. They must be within line of sight.
Distort - He has the ability to distort sound. This is done by lengthening the amplitude of the sound. Imagine slowing or speeding up a record for an example of this effect.
Sonic Blast: Though not well trained, he can take his voice and do a "blast" by screaming, and amping up the scream itself. It is completely based on whatever direction he screams, and travels in a straight line. This would be the equivalent of someone turning up your ipod up to ten while you have your earbuds in. It can stun, but that's about all.
Siren's Sound: He is capable of manipulating his voice into such a cadence where the person becomes more susceptible to suggestion. This is akin to what a hypnotist does. It cannot cause someone to do something they would not normally do, and only works as long as he is using it.

Decibel Chart: here

OmniLinguist (3 points) - Ability to understand any form of language; a natural polygot. Spoken languages only. Asher is an omnilinguist. He understands any form of language - spoken only. He has masked his mutant power with multiple degrees in languages.

Be as detailed as possible about each power and attach any canon links you are using. OC Character powers need to be along the same line or have a theme. No random power combos without explanation.

What are the drawbacks or limitations to the power? Or what other powers may affect it?
Omnilinguist He only understands spoken languages. The languages have to be real languages with actual patterns and structures. Thus, he could, in theory, understand Tolkein’s Elvish (an published language), but he would not understand the stringing together of syllables created by a baby, or by a person who did not have cognitive functions enough to communicate. Understanding does not mean he can speak multiple. No, he has spent a lifetime learning languages. His mutation makes it easier, but he currently speaks: Latin, Greek, French, Spanish, Derivatives of Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Japanese, Chinese, Urdu, Hindi, Arabic, Gaelic

Sound Manipulation : Unlike some, he cannot create sound, he can only manipulate it. Thus, if he were trapped in a room with Layla, while she used her power, he would be rendered defenseless. His ability is self taught, so while he might be able to be super incredibly cool if he'd trained his powers, he has not. While he is quick on his feet, he uses his linguistic skill more than his sound manipulation. His greatest fluency is the dampening of sound. As such, trickier uses would have to be trained. In addition, he has a range limit, as well as a decibel limit. He cannot manipulate sound if it's farther than 150 feet away. This, if he wanted to silence an orchestra from a balcony - he could not. He cannot manipulate sound above 110 Decibels. For reference, OSHA suggests that two hours of noise at 100 decibels will start causing hearing loss. A jet plane taking off, if you are within ten feet of it, is 140 lbs.

What other characters on the site does your character know or interact with?
Adrienne Frost: They've met. They aren't fans of each other.
Layla Sadiki: His Granddaughter
Christian Frost: The Governor. For some reason, the man wants to talk to him.
Other instructors at Xavier's

What are your short and long term goals for your character?
Asher has one goal. He has learned he has a grand daughter, and he wishes to get to know her and provide her with the family she does not have. As a more long term goal, he will try to assist her with her power enough so she will be able to regain her voice.
What kind of plot/s would you like to see? Or see for your character?
All of them. But seriously - right now? Focusing on Layla. Perhaps meet some of the other people who knew Derek, but this character is being written for Layla, and we'll see what happens from there.

CHARACTER INTERVIEW -
- In character interview questions.
Standing in front of a mirror, what do you see? What do you like and dislike about what you see?
Really. Are these type of questions appropriate in an interview? You are staring right at me, and you do not appear blind. *sigh* Very well. I am an older gentleman - around sixty. While I appear my age, I have aged well. My hair is greying, but a distinguished grey. It is full and rich and shows no signs of receding. I do have to admit my eyesight is not where it was, so I am forced to wear glasses - predominantly for reading. Mae would insist I admit I've stayed in shape. Physical fitness was very important to her, and it became a habit. A habit I practice willingly. She also said my eyes are expressive. I'm not sure I'm one to judge that, but...she was my wife, and knew me better than anyone...

What are your favorite clothes? What do you wear for a special night out? Relaxing on Sunday?
And now you wish to know what I wear? This is getting a tad preposterous. Fine. I wear suits to work. An outward appearance is important. It is the first thing people see, and which which they judge you on. To show anything less than your best is a sign of laziness, and laziness will not be tolerated. I enjoy jeans and a soft shirt when I am relaxing at home. No, I do not, nor will I ever, own sweatpants. I run in track pants or shorts, depending on the weather. And yes, I know I look impressive in a tuxedo - which is what I would wear for a special night out. I am, after all, from DC.

What makes you happy? Sad? Angry?
My wife made me happy. We met when we were in college, and she convinced me to propose before we were out of college. She was...everything I am not. She smiled. She was kind. She connected with others. I am..not unkind, but it does not come as easily to me as it did to her. Losing her? That devastated me. My son, Derek, claims I never got over it. I claim he is too busy doing anything but coming home to deal with the loss. This, this angers me.

I love learning. My wife was the history scholar, I love languages. There is a beauty to them all = even the more gutteral ones. I enjoy studying them. I enjoy reading, classical music. This makes me happy.

My son makes me angry. I...don't understand the life he's chosen. He is a brilliant man. He grasps history with the same gift and fire of his mother, but instead he puts his dissertation on hold for that woman. The woman's he's in love with, but who does not love him back.

Were you raised by your family? Was it a productive relationship?
My father came over from Britain. It's why my last name is unique. Back then, you didn't speak about your mutations. You just...learned to deal. My mother, apparently, was the one with the genes. She was a telepathy; do you know how hard it is to hide anything from a telepath? Our thought always was my understanding on languages was just a weakened form of telepathy. I "understand" what they are saying...Any way. My father was normal for the 50s and 60s. My mother always had a drink ready when my father came home, promptly at 5:30. I was always groomed and ready for dinner at six. Our family life was steady, and stable. Father was an doctor. Mother stayed at home. It was productive - although one would argue my father was not especially affectionate. He taught me to be a man, and how a man should act.

I met Margaret, Mae, in college. She...was a force of nature. Kind. Compassionate. Funny. Everyone loved her; I'm not sure how I ended up with her, but I did...and we got married, and we had a child. She loved our son. I...tried to show my affection as best I could, but Mary was always better at it. She taught him how to treat women, and how to be generous and polite. I tried to teach him how to be a man; it mostly worked.

I love my relationship with my son when my wife died. She wasn't feeling well, in an a span of four months, she was gone. Cancer. I was devastated. That was....eight? years ago, and I still miss her very much, every day.

When did you know you had abilities others didn't? Did it change your life?
I was 15, and some Indians moved in next door. They were speaking their language - but I didn't realize it wasn't English. I tried to speaking with them. As you can imagine, it ended poorly - but fortunately, my mother was there. My sound manipulation? It was finals, and I needed to study. One of our neighbors was far more interested in playing the Beatles very loud. I appreciate music - but not at 11pm at night. I walked over there, asked them (politely) to be quiet. They were not..and then...suddenly, they were. Again, my mother was a saint. She figured out what had happened, and my mother and father started helping me with my powers.

The only way they changed my life was that I feel my omnilinguistism helped choose my career path. Otherwise? I don't use my powers often - though it was handy when Derek was colicy.

Where were you and what were you doing during the Race Riots?
I was in DC. My wife had just died. My son left for the military. I buried myself in teaching at American University and ignored everything around me. I'm not proud of it, but I turned a blind eye to the hate in the word in my grief.

Where were you and what were you doing during Martial Law? Have you experienced any other anti-mutant behavior?
I was worrying for my son. He was embroiled with the events in New York City. His..woman...got collared, willingly, on television. Again, I'm not proud, but I said hard things to him about it. I did not understand how he could stand by a woman who did that. Now I understand there was a plan, but then? I lived through the 60s and 70s. I've seen hate. I was teaching during the gay bashing in the 90s. Hate is real, and it is everywhere. Fortunately, I am not registered, so I have no directly faced it, but I know many who have.

Are you still towing the line alone, or do you hang out with a group of mutants? Why did you pick them?
I am applying for a job with Xavier's School of the Gifted to be my my Grand Daughter. If that falls through, I know I can obtain a job at Columbia. A man with my linguistical credentials have many opportunities.

What is your current living situation? How do you pay the bills?
I am frugal, and thus have saved a large amount of money. While I wouldn't say I am rich, I am not hurting - and can take the time to obtain a good job in New York City. I am hoping to work at my Granddaughter's school, but if that does not work, then I will work at another University.

Are you in a relationship? If not, is there someone you would like to be?
No.

Setting your abilities aside, what are you good at? What can you brag about?
I am a natural linguist. I am exceptionally good at cooking. Unlike many single males, my home is immaculate.

Everyone has vices or guilty pleasures, what are yours?
Staying up until six am working on a project or paper.

Ok, last chance! What should we know about you?
I have been called to town because my son has found a daughter he did not know he had. I know tests are being done, and she may not wish to see me, but I want to try. And oh, I'm a trained pianist.

PMEmail
^
Asher Sadiki
 Posted: Jan 24 2016, 02:44 AM
Decibel

68 angst

Crypt
33 posts
61 years

Done
PMEmail
^
Crypt
 Posted: Jan 24 2016, 10:40 PM
Moneypenny

112 angst

Crypt
79 posts
N/A years

Thank you for your application! It could take us up to 48 hours to review the app and get back to you. In instances where we need a third day, you will be notified by an admin.
PM
^
Eve
 Posted: Jan 31 2016, 10:56 PM
Plot Goddess

1285 angst

Ebe
254 posts
Older than my teeth... years

Congratulations! You are approved. Make sure you fill out your Face Claim & Who’s Who. We have a community AIM chat group for plotting, and if you'd like to be involved, contact a staff member. Lastly, familiarize yourself with the posting timeline for new threads.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates

Skin altered for BMF by Ceri aka fairytale of SHINE and CAUTION 2.0